Monday, January 30, 2006

Sorry for the delay....

I know I should have posted this 2 months ago, I apologize for that. It has to do with Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays.

Why is this an issue now? My brother worked retail in the late 70's and early 80's and even then it was "Say happy holidays to our customers". I had a friend that worked at K-Mart in '93, and the "Happy Holiday's" tradition continued so that religious feelings were hurt. So, why in 2005, was this a big deal? Has it always been a big deal and I just ignored it? It strikes me as odd that we pick this year (2005) to make a huge deal about this.

Personally, I don't give a rat’s ass what the generally unhappy checkout clerk at (insert your box store name here) says to me. Well, I take that back. If they started swearing at me or something, then I might take offense. We celebrate Christmas in my household, so my general response back to someone that says "Happy Holidays" is "Merry Christmas" or sometimes the pre-programmed response "Thanks, you too".

I say pre-programmed, because I purchased a latte at a drive-thru recently, and the clerk told me to drive carefully, and I told him "Thanks, you too" as I drove off. Think about it, he doesn't live there, so he will have to drive home at some point. "Enjoy the movie"..."thanks, you too".

Not sure why I just know thought about blogging about this.

No comments: