Thursday, February 02, 2006

Punxsutawney Phil and a belly-itcher

In honor of our famous groundhog, I am wearing a Navy blue shirt since Phil saw his shadow today. I also listened to "I got you babe" repeatedly on the way to work this morning. Looks like spring will start around March 21...I for one am shocked. Of course, if you live in Missoula, spring will start around tax day or later, as usual.

Looks like pitchers and catches report on the 15th for the Mariners. I am getting excited to get this season going. I have already blocked out times when the Rainers are coming to town to play the newly renamed Salt Lake Bees.


I hope that the youth up the middle does end up being our starting middle infield. We have had Boone and A-Rod before with 25+ HR's a piece. Now it looks like Betancourt at SS with Lopez and/or Bloomquist at 2nd. They should be one of, if not the best defensive infields in the league. Offensively, I just hope they get on base. Pitching is going be our weakest link, I think. Sure, we have the youthful King Felix and Moyer with his 80 MPH fastball. Pitching has proved to be a key cog in the wheel for success in the majors. Look at NY, more offensive power than 10 teams combined, but some fairly erratic pitching in the past few years. A team that could be in the World Series every year, has been absent for several years.

No comments: