Monday, April 13, 2009

Kindle 2 update

I have had my Kindle 2 since February 27th, so I thought I would write up a short update review.

I love it! For the first time since Feb. 27th, I had to charge it over the weekend. Over the course of those 6-7 weeks, I read most nights. I finished "Old Man and the Sea", "Free Range Chickens" and read 65% of "For Whom the Bell Tolls". Plus other random minutes playing with it, showing it off, and trying to read the users manual. I read anywhere from 4 to 45 pages a night or on the plane. I also left my wireless off except for a few short moments (daylight savings update and downloading new books).

I love this device. This is exactly what I, a non-reading-tech-oriented person, needed to get into reading. I am sure many "traditional" book worm types find this behavior odd, but I am currently reading books that I would have never thought of reading.

Obviously, this is not for everyone. I see that "Curious George" is out in Kindle form. This is one of those books that needs a child to flip page, by colorful page.

I have not, nor foresee, signing up for newspaper subscriptions, so I cannot comment on this feature.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I love my traditional bound books, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kindle - especially after lugging my voluminous library up the stairs in defense of the rising Red River. It's the $360 initial cash outlay that's prohibiting me right now, even though I'd probably recoup that after a year of buying bound books from Amazon and B&N. Keep posting cool new features you find - maybe I'll spring for one and we can compare notes.