Friday, October 09, 2009

Five minutes to under two

I am sure about 90% of that is tied to the fact that I cleanly installed Win7, but still that is a great improvement to me. The exact time for me when pushing my power button to an online desktop is 1 minute and 42 seconds.  

The entire install look just under 1 hour from start to online with Windows.  No need to search the internet for drivers, everything was there.  Again, pretty good for a 5 year old AMD 3200 (2.19 ghz) proc and only 1 GB of RAM.  Bill A, I did consider 64-bit, but figured this machine only has 3-6 months until a new cheap machine arrives, I decided to hold off. 

For those server buffs out there, I learned that Win7 and Win2k8 server are built on the same kernel.  Why is this a good thing?  I could see this lowering the application problems today from a server based deployment (Citrix and TS) to a PC based deployment.  Especially as things like VDI stir the pot in the IT world. 

No comments: