Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Way to go Bud Selig

Let me begin by stating that I am not a fan of Bud Selig.  But, when given an opportunity to change a call made in a game, I feel that he chose correctly.

I spent my time last week talking about Griffey.  I see that Armando Galarraga will pitch tonight, first time since the almost perfect game, which is why I am doing this today. 

The day after the event, I had a lunch with a coworker who was passionate about having Selig reverse the call because “it was the right thing to do”.  I disagreed.  Where do you draw the line?  That blown call affected history (still a big deal), and not the outcome of the game.  About 5 hours later, a blown call has the Mariners beating the Twins in 10 innings rather than having the Twins bat at the top of the 11th.  That blown call actually affected an outcome of a game.  When you start to reverse calls, you start down a path that is very slippery slope.  The manner in which Jim Joyce, Armando, Jim Leyland and Tiger fans reacted the following day was extremely respectful.  Also, keep in mind, Joyce immediately apologized to Armando in person after watching the replay.  They gave a standing ovation to the umpires as they entered the field the following day.  They also gave Armando a standing ovation with he delivered the lineup card. 

What started me thinking about this again, happened today on Sports radio.  A radio host had his 40th birthday party over the past weekend.  He was addressed by someone that said “I know you don’t want to talk shop, but your viewpoint on Selig was dead wrong.  You have never been more wrong.”  (FYI, I share the same viewpoint as the radio host).  The individual used examples of how Selig could sent an example for kids, yadda, yadda, yadda.  The real example for kids is how everyone reacted.  Joyce immediately recognized his fault and apologized for it.  I would much rather have my child learn a lesson of telling someone that you were wrong, rather than some Pollyanna viewpoint on life. 

For those of you that have not seen what occurred during the game following, here you go.

No comments: