Friday, October 01, 2010

PlayOn, now for iPhone and iTouch

Wondering how you can watch Frontline from PBS on your iPhone?  How can you catch up on episodes of Jersey Shore?  (Yeah, I know, I “went there” so sue me).  Well, now you can with the PlayOn streaming service for your PC. 

Don’t know about PlayOn?  Click here to find out more.  You can stream to your Wii, PS3 and XBOX 360 in addition to iTouch and iPhones.  It’s fairly simple.  You can stream from your YouTube, Hulu, and NetFlix accounts as well as watch media from MTV, PGA tour, ComedyCentral, etc.  The list is very extensive and will continue to grow and improve.  Here is a link to what is currently available

Once you install it, you have 14 days before you have to buy.  They just improved the channel selection and the streaming service, sadly that came at a price.  It was $40 up until September 30th, it has since jumped to a one time payment of $80.  Yes, that is a one time payment if you plan to use this solution for a very long time.  Otherwise it is $40 for the first year, and $20 every year there after.

So, on the iPhone you open your browser on your internal Wi-Fi network and point the address to “m.playon.tv”.  It loads an icon on your iPhone desktop and that is all.  You can begin watching shows in a matter of minutes.  If you want to mess with Firewall rules on your router, you can configure your media server to be available anywhere you might end up with internet access. 

I don’t use this service a lot, but it is a very cool toy.  Perhaps once I acquire an iPad, it will be a great way to watch some of these shows. 

In the latest version, they added a way to self promote what you are watching with Playon by integrating with all major social networking players. 

I have played with this more on my iPhone than I ever did on the Wii.  I have to say, I like it, even on that small of a screen. 

No comments: