Sunday, November 07, 2010

Slowing down my pace

It has been awhile since my last post, nearly 3 weeks.  I have not had much to write about, especially with regards to Seattle sports.  The M’s were eliminated from the playoffs on June 1st, and Seachickens could win the NFC West with a 7-9 record.  I guess, all this borders on a fair weather fan.

In other news, I recorded my highest MPG with my Jeep CRD since using GasCubby (2 years this month) to record fuel mileage, 24.1 MPG.  I have to thank the fact I would not pass emissions as the reason why.  My EGR valve failed about 1 month ago.  Ever since my engine stopped recirculating hot exhaust gases back into my engine, I have seen a 2-4 MPG jump for my driving style.

Now, there are ways to do this in a green manner.  You can purchase a new CPU unit from these guys that reprograms your computer to trick the EGR valve into not working.  It also performs a wide array of other features to help maximize the engine.  This could be something I will do once I replace my EGR in the near future.  For now, I am loving this increase in MGP and the engine even feels more responsive.  Lucky for me, I passed emissions in August, just prior to this failure.  What I would normally see is somewhere between 19-20 MPG for hybrid highway/city driving.  I would like to see how I do towing, but that will have to wait until next Spring.

No comments: