Monday, November 29, 2010

Winter driving

After a long Thanksgiving week drive that saw the full spectrum of weather, the Jeep was able to achieve it’s highest recorded gas mileage of 24.7.  Why is this so special, allow me to elaborate.

It is November, and I drove in “Full Time” four wheel about 75% of the drive.  Keep in mind, in the Jeep Liberty, Full time is more like allowing the front wheels to engage as necessary.  (From the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip)  This is contrasted by “Part time” which locks the front differential so the front and rear wheels rotate at the same speed.  We also had a Thule roof cargo carrier on the car which does supply a fair amount of drag.  The Thule also plays a the role of a sail around Livingston.  As mentioned in my previous post, the EGR valve is still disabled.

I would have to say, with all things considered, I am pretty pleased with the 2.4 MPG’s that we gained on this journey.

We did this same trip last year (with roof rack) and were able to achieve 22.3 MPG.  Last year, the roads were dry for 98% of that that journey.  Needless to say, I did not go into four wheel drive but only once on that trip.  So the gain alone from having the EGR valve in a non working state is fairly large.  I am really curious is this will help out on MPG’s when towing.

All in all, a great trip to see family. 

1 comment:

Bill said...

I hate it when tires gripe. No respect! They should just be thankful they aren't on a Yugo!