Friday, March 02, 2012

$350

That was the grand total, donation total, of about 15,000 sports cards and other random pieces of sport memorabilia that I had collected from about 1986 to 1999.

When I look back on the time investment alone, it is beyond depressing.  I always thought I was doing well by keeping unopened boxes of cards and factory sets. I also put together sets, which accounts for the high amount of singles and it was a bitch to get every card.

I even had fun collecting hard to find sets.  I had a Franz bread set of the 1987 Seahawks.  Do you know how much bread I had to eat to create that near mint set?  I also had a 2.5-inch binder of just Griffey's from 1987 to 1991.  I was full of minor league cards and some ridiculous set of home photos that someone made into a set.  There was one set of Griffey's put out by Pepsi.  I had to drink a lot of 12 packs of Pepsi until I discovered where in the pack the card was stored.  Of course, it also contained his mainstream cards.  And, I know I had every Steve Largent card ever produced.  I would spend hours going to through sports card magazine and order cards from far off places like Columbus, Ohio and Kissimmee, Florida.  Back when you had to wait 2-4 weeks to receive your merchandise.

I would send cards to my favorite players.  I would write a letter (by hand if you can fathom that!) and include a self addressed stamped envelope along with my card of chose.  I had almost all my cards of Steve Largent signed by him, along with Curt Warner and other Seahawks.  I never did perform this act for my favorite Mariner cards.

The departure of my cards is overall, a very sad piece of my life's work, but it does complete a chapter of my youth.  They are these stupid materialistic items that one day were suppose to pay for kids college educations and large homes on waterfront property.  Neither one of those goals will be achieved.  Now, card manufactures appear to be embracing the larger global market and printing less cards.  Driving up the price and demand while keeping the supply within reason.  I appreciate their efforts, but selfishly too little, too late for this guy.

On a bright note, I will no longer feel anchored by a metric ton of cardboard.  Since those cards left, I have felt a bit better about myself.  I should also note that not all cards are gone. I hung onto the 1984 Topps Football set and my non-counterfeit Griffey minor league cards and a few other single rookie cards.

As an aside, I started this blog in December of 2011.  I really do need to get back into blogging.

1 comment:

bigbill25 said...

You started this blog in 2011? Was I reading the future before then? ;)

Oh, do you want my NBA cards from like '88 or so? For some reason I still have those...