Saturday, March 03, 2012

A "What does it all mean" stage

The title, a snippet paraphrased from the movie "High Fidelity".

I recently passed yet another mileage marker on the highway of life, 38.  I would like to feel that this is not to the mid-life stage, but reality might be setting.  After just leaving the Porsche dealership (Honey, we should talk when you get home) I have decided to funnel my aging frustrations into humor.

For what I hope will be several long-winded segments of how I am trying to bring humor into everyone's life, one post at a time.  This first entry I will describe my true feelings towards Facebook status updates and how I hope to use this tool.  Followed by some ramblings of how I landed on this project.

Much like a politician on virtually any topic, I go back and forth on my true feelings on Facebook.  As we know, social media is a tool that can be turned into a weapon if used carelessly.  Generally, most status updates contain weather updates, proud parent moments, and lately, how religious one must be to be elected president (didn't realize that was so important, but I digress).  I am announcing with a clear conscious that I will be using my status updates to provide humor. That humor will most likely cast myself as the punch line, to which I don't care.

Many events have unfolded in recent weeks where I have realized I take my life for granted.  I get horribly upset at the smallest interruption to my plan. For example, why the F am I sitting in a traffic jam on 405 at 10:30 in the F'ing morning as I struggle to make an appointment on time.  To help explain this mental shift, let's dissect the phrase "it is what it is."  Bare in mind, this dissection with come at the typing hands of someone who relied upon someone named "Cliff" and the notes that he took on major novels to pass high school English courses.  Some may argue that my writing style is similar to a floundering Amoeba, but again, I digress.

"It is", oh boy the subject of the matter.   For the sake of this argument, we look at my previous example of traffic.  It = traffic.  Is everyone staying with me?  Good. "What".  Are we bringing the subject in for questioning?  Am I going to shine a bright light in the face of my subject while calmly smoking a cigarette towering over my subject with rolled up sleeves and the optional use of suspenders?  "It is", Ah ha! Just when I am going to bring the subject into questioning, I am releasing the subject; the subject is now free to leave.  So, the ageless phrases of “it is what it is” can successful bring a mental shift when in the right frame of mind. Sometimes, I set myself to be angry or upset, no matter what I say or do.

Making more attempts to bring humor back into my life should've been focal point all along.  It was washed away in the wave of reasonability heading out into the sea of life.

Here's to a successful year and many more to come!

 

No comments: