Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What madness this March brings

Let it be known, I have not watched a sticth of college basketball this year.  Not because I didn't want to, but rather life seems to get in the way of leisure activities.

You would think this might stop me from laying down $5 on a pool to pick a bracket.  Of course not.  As a college basketball fan from childhood, filling out a bracket every March seems automatic and a requirement of my life.  I spend a few minutes, honestly no more time than it takes to consume a morning cup of joe, placing my picks.  The amount of time I spend picking teams has a parallel relationship to my success, little time = little success.  However, that does not stop the inverse relationship of frustration, little success = big frustration.  Uttering such lines as "I was going to pick them, but…" or "Why did they win?  <Insert picked team> played like crap!"

The largest amount of my time is spent picking the upset, mostly the 12 seeds.  It is a commonly known fact that the game I pick generally is not the one that has the desired outcome.  Instead of wasting my time trying to find what 9 or greater seed is going to be this years Villanova or Butler, I am doing 2 brackets.  One bracket will have all of my "decent" picks which includes upsets, the other will have mostly higher seeds advancing.  I will update everyone on my success with this strategy.

It is with great hope and desire that I wish our one TV can take a break from Yo Gabba Gabba, Finding Bigfoot, and recorded Chelsea Lately episodes for some basketball.  My wife is not the biggest sports fan in the world, but even she appreciates a decent game.

Let the madness begin!

No comments: